Show caves of the Czech Republic are open again More
Agentura ochrany přírody a krajiny České republiky
Česká informační agentura životního prostředí (CENIA)
Česká geologická služba
Česká inspekce životního prostředí
Český hydrometeorologický ústav
Správa jeskyní České republiky
Správa Krkonošského národního parku
Správa Národního parku a chráněné krajinné oblasti Šumava
Správa Národního parku České Švýcarsko
Správa Národního parku Podyjí
Státní fond životního prostředí České republiky
Výzkumný ústav vodohospodářský T. G. Masaryka
Výzkumný ústav Silva Taroucy pro krajinu a okrasné zahradnictví, v.v.i.

Chýnov Cave



The first written mention of Chýnov can be found in the Kosmas's Chronicle of Bohemia and relates to 981. The Roman Catholic Baroque-style of the Holy Trinity located in the square and founded in 995 is one of the Tábor region's most important religious monuments. The village was the home of several sculptors in the 19th and the first half of the 20th century. The best known of these is probably František Bílek (1872-1941), an Art Nouveau artist and a leading figure of symbolism, who has his birth house and studio in the village (in the possession of the Gallery of the Capital of Prague).

Chýnov town


Today, the town of Tábor is the second largest South Bohemian town with more than 35 000 residents, and it has become an important transportation, economic, and cultural centre of the region. During the centuries, it has undergone many constructional transformations, but it has kept its medieval nature until now, and because of that, its historical downtown was proclaimed a landmark preservation area. Visitors of the Old Town can take delight in romantic alleys or the facades of houses of burgesses, or visit the Hussite museum with its underground corridors, Kotnov Tower

Tábor town


The pilgrimage church of Klokoty is situated on the hill above a meander of the Lužnice River. Its foundation stone was laid around 1700 and replaced the former Gothic-style chapel and its building took nearly thirty years requiring support from wealthy mercenaries from important aristocratic families and merchants.

The pilgrimage church of Klokoty


Pacov is a town in Pelhřimov District in the Vysočina Region of the Czech Republic. It is an extended competence municipality counting over 5,000 residents altogether.

The town accommodated a considerable number of sights throughout its 700-plus-year history. The original castle (from the 13th century) has almost completely disappeared after being rebuilt as a Renaissance château later converted to an 18th century monastery and later still to a manor house. There are two main churches, the Gothic Church of St. Michael and the Abbey Church of St. Wenceslas (open to the public as a gallery during summer holidays only). The Baroque religious architecture is further represented by the St. Barbara funeral chapel and the St. Anne Chapel near a former spa. A synagogue and a cemetery featuring the local Jewish history exhibition commemorate Pacov’s Jewish residents.

Pacov town


This mighty castle was founded in the mid-13th century and only ruins of walls and two towers have remained of it. The ruins boast an unusual layout (it is a rare example of a double castle). The castle was owned by the Rožmberks from 1355 till 1597 when Petr Vok sold it; in 1614 the castle was abandoned.

Choustník – castle ruins with a lookout tower


Kámen – castle

Kozí hrádek

Amid large forests above the charming valley of Kozský Brook, there are the ruins of a small castle known as Kozí Hrádek, first mentioned in sources in 1377. In the middle there used to be a large residential tower encircled with wooden barriers, a moat and a bulwark. Master Jan Hus, a great reformer of the Catholic Church, found refuge in the castle after his departure from Prague in 1413-1414 and wrote some of his masterpieces there.

Kozí hrádek – castle ruins


The ruins of a medieval stronghold called Starý Zámek are situated northwest of Tábor in the direction of Sedlec. Its history reaches back to the 14th century.

In 1434 the castle was unsuccessfully besieged by Prokop Holý´s troops; in the early 17th century the castle was plundered by the imperial army and never repaired afterwards.

Borotín – castle ruins

Obrataň – Jindřichův Hradec – Nová Bystřice Narrow-gauge Railway

Jindřichův Hradec Narrow-gauge Railway

Červená Lhota

The existence of an original fortress on the site of today's castle is assumed from sometime around the middle of the 14th century.  The first written source is an entry into the land records from 1465. Castle was rebuilt in Neorenaissance style with the assistance of architect Humbert Walcher of Moltheim in 1902-1910.

Červená Lhota – chateau