Agentura ochrany přírody a krajiny České republiky www.nature.cz
Česká informační agentura životního prostředí (CENIA) www.cenia.cz
Česká geologická služba www.geology.cz
Česká inspekce životního prostředí www.cizp.cz
Český hydrometeorologický ústav portal.chmi.cz
Správa jeskyní České republiky www.jeskynecr.cz
Správa Krkonošského národního parku www.krnap.cz
Správa Národního parku a chráněné krajinné oblasti Šumava www.npsumava.cz
Správa Národního parku České Švýcarsko www.npcs.cz
Správa Národního parku Podyjí www.nppodyji.cz
Státní fond životního prostředí České republiky www.sfzp.cz
Výzkumný ústav vodohospodářský T. G. Masaryka www.vuv.cz
Výzkumný ústav Silva Taroucy pro krajinu a okrasné zahradnictví, v.v.i. www.vukoz.cz

Na Pomezí Caves

Information

The Na Pomezí Caves are situated 2 km north of the village Lipová-lázně. The system of caves was partly known as early as 1936, but it was only in…

More information

Opening hours

21.11.2018

in agreement

Complete list

Download opening hours

Contact & Booking

Contact person: Martin Kubalák
790 61 Lipová-lázně
+420 584 421 284 pomezi@caves.cz
50° 14' 46.400''N; 17° 08' 17.600''E

Show map

Routes and Entrance fee

45 min
5-9 °C
99 %
390 m
196
 
Price list & sales

Entrance fee

  • Adults

    110,- Kč

  • Reduction

    80,- Kč

  • Child

    60,- Kč

Description

The area of the caves with the administrative building is situated close to the road under the Na Pomezí saddle, towards the village of Vápenná. When entering the underground, you will follow an artificial tunnel coming into the first natural space of the cave system. Ledový dóm (Ice Dome) took its name after the several-metres-high sinter coating on the wall, which resembles a frozen waterfall. The shapes on the ceiling evoke a relief map of mountains. At the lowest level of this space steeply falling down you can see the highest column called Maják (Light House). The corridor then continues with a short detour to Dóm U Smuteční vrby (Weeping-Willow Dome). Also here you can admire the parable in the stalactite and stalagmite decoration with the dominant Smuteční vrba (Weeping-Willow) feature “growing” at the edge of the sinter lake. There are several artificially installed stalactites and stalagmites that were transferred here from the places where they stood in the way at the times when the cave was made accessible. Their names are Šikmá věž v Pise (Leaning Tower of Pisa), Praděd (Praděd Mountains) and Turecký hřbitov (Turkish Cemetery). The fissure behind Turecký hřbitov leads into the caves that are not accessible. They are called the Májové Caves since they were discovered in May 1953. Then the corridor with the ceiling trough modelled by erosion leads from Smuteční vrba past beautiful gours called Římské lázně (Roman Bath) and an impressively illuminated sinter curtain into Bílý dóm (White Dome). Its walls are decorated with sinter coatings and snowy-white stalactites hang in ceiling parts. Several formations are named after the things they resemble – e.g. Indická pagoda (Indian Pagoda), Sloní ucho (Elephant Ear), Vosí hnízdo (Wasps’ Nest) or Spící sova (Sleeping Owl). The next big space is Královský dóm (Royal Dome). It is 25 metres high and was created by a breakdown of the ceilings of two floors of the cave; giant boulder blocks show evidence of this event. The upper floor is not open to the public – it is a wintering place for bats and horseshoe bats. The corridor Kanálová chodba leads from Královský dóm. During floods the bottom of the corridor used to be flooded. There are also several nice quiet corners here, e.g. Klenotnice (Treasury) or an unusual shaped stalactite named Zkamenělé srdce (Petrified Heart). The cave route then leads up past the fissure shaft called Peklo (Hell) to Dóm U Kazatelny (Pulpit Dome). The symbol of the caves, Zkamenělý pes (Petrified Dog), awaits you here. It is a sinter formation formed on a piece of wood flushed down to the underground in ancient times. Other stalactite, stalagmite and sinter formations here inspire the human imagination too. Such as Baldachýn (Baldachin) above Kazatelna, Eskymák v kajaku (Eskimo in a Kayak) or a formation that resembles a woman with a child in her arms. The last stop on the available route is Bahenní dóm (Mud Dome). Here the visitors are acquainted with the history of the discovery of the Na Pomezí Caves, because this is the place where the first explorers entered the cave in 1949. In the nearby hall an old signature saying “Kurt Höhle” was also discovered on the wall.