Agentura ochrany přírody a krajiny České republiky www.nature.cz
Česká informační agentura životního prostředí (CENIA) www.cenia.cz
Česká geologická služba www.geology.cz
Česká inspekce životního prostředí www.cizp.cz
Český hydrometeorologický ústav portal.chmi.cz
Správa jeskyní České republiky www.jeskynecr.cz
Správa Krkonošského národního parku www.krnap.cz
Správa Národního parku a chráněné krajinné oblasti Šumava www.npsumava.cz
Správa Národního parku České Švýcarsko www.npcs.cz
Správa Národního parku Podyjí www.nppodyji.cz
Státní fond životního prostředí České republiky www.sfzp.cz
Výzkumný ústav vodohospodářský T. G. Masaryka www.vuv.cz
Výzkumný ústav Silva Taroucy pro krajinu a okrasné zahradnictví, v.v.i. www.vukoz.cz

Chýnov Cave

Information

The Chýnov Cave was discovered in 1863 during works in a quarry. In 1868, after necessary adaptations, this became the first Czech cave open to the…

More information

Opening hours

25.05.2018

9:00 - 15:30

Complete list

Download opening hours

Contact & Booking

Contact person: Ing. Karel Drbal
Dolní Hořice 54, 391 55 Chýnov
+420 381 299 034, +420 724 330 365 chynov@caves.cz
49°25'46.200''N; 14°49'59.400''E

Show map

Routes and Entrance fee

40 min
5-9 °C
96-100 %
260 m
330
 
Price list & sales

Entrance fee

  • Adults

    100,- Kč

  • Reduction

    80,- Kč

  • Child

    60,- Kč

Description

Visitors will be impressed by inscription of the year 1863 hewn above the entrance to the cave and commemorating the year when the underground of Pacova Mountain was first walked upon by human feet. Behind the metal grid that is located 9 m under the level of the entrance area begins a 32m decline which leads through the Entrance Corridor and turns into the Schwarzenberg’s Corridor after a few metres. Step by step down the stairs made by stone from the cave itself the visitors plunge deeper and deeper into the heart of the cave. The walls of the corridors consist in varied marble with grey and white stripes interspersed with patches of green and black amphibolites. Although the slope is quite steep, most visitors are taken aback by the view that opens in the lower part of the corridor. The Devil’s Stairs really deserve their name. Toiling down the stairs, many people fail to notice the exceptionally coloured ceiling above their heads. After crossing a footbridge past the Bread Oven one arrives at the first stop at the route: Žižka’s Cannonade received its name according to holes in the ceiling resembling holes made by cannonballs. Stronger lighting of this spot reveals the varied hues of the walls.

The Chapel of St. Adalbert is the cave’s dominant. Listening to the introductory part of the Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Bach has become an inseparable part of the tour. After all the lights have been switched on, a metal cross appears on the rock. This cross replaced the original wooden one, placed by the custodians of the CzechKingdomMuseum during their first exploration. Above the cross has been preserved the signature of Jan Strnad, one of the discoverers of the cave, dated 14 July 1863. The top of the chapel is entirely unique, for it consists of a number of formations, "pots", in several layers stacked one on top of another. In the antechamber, a Stone devil commemorates the demanding process of making the cave accessible.

Several more steps down and the visitors end 51 m under the surface by Purkyně’s Lake. Out of the dark of the inaccessible quarters of the cave comes the sound of the waterfall as the subterranean stream drops deeper, only to rise to the surface two days later. The northern wall of the includes formations called "eyes" whose shapes are determined by different solubility of the rocks and which catch the visitors' eye. The Purkyně’s Eye is especially well formed.

All deeper parts of the cave are located below the level of the water.

Visitors then have to ascend from Purkyně’s Lake up to Dragon’s Head. Past this exceptionally shaped formation the tour continues through Malovecká Corridor as far as Devil’s Lake. Making this part accessible, however resulted in merely placing several metal footholds. Therefore, this corridor can now serve only as an emergency exit.

The current tour of the cave continues through the Connecting Corridor as far as the Witches' Fireplace. The drapes of calcite illuminated from behind give the impression of a true hearth. Behind the hearth there are two stalactites extending from karst cavities destroyed by exploitation in the PacovaMountain mine. The largest of the stalactites that have been preserved is 157 cm long and is exhibited in Blatské Museum in Soběslav.

The ceilings in the newly opened part of the Sticky Corridor are covered by one of the forms of the cave pearls - pisolites. The next flight of stairs takes visitors up to the highest level of the system. Before leaving the cave through the 45 metreexit gallery, visitors enjoy the view of the unique areas of the Little Chapel. The marvellously shaped and coloured walls of this abyss enhance the total impression Chýnov Cave gives.